Jobs: Join E-180 As Backend Developer
<bells&whistles>E-180 is hiring!</bells&whistles> We are actively looking for a Backend Developer. Start date: as soon as possible.
Who we are
Our mission: Turn cities, spaces, organizations and events into peer-learning hubs, in which one and all may grow by sharing knowledge with each other, in person. Thanks to its unique take on the future of education, E-180 has been recognized by C2MTL as one of Montreal’s 10 most innovative businesses, and mentioned as such in the February 2013 issue of Fast Company magazine.
Our next challenge: Become the worldwide peer-learning leader. How? By launching an online magazine exploring the overlap between education and the sharing economy, by keeping on building a better E-180.com with private groups and smarter virality tools, and by leveraging a location-based mobile app (recently funded by the Canada Media Fund) to build local communities of learners around the world.
What it’s like to work at E-180
Working at E-180 means pushing yourself to make a significant contribution to the global collaborative education movement, while training for a triathlon with the team over lunchtime. It means being part of a tightly-knit ecosystem of inspiring, innovating and stimulating team-mates and partners (including C2MTL, the McConnell Foundation, Fondation Montréal Inc, CRÉ de Montréal, the Harvard Center for Sustainibility in Boston, the Spoke Club in Toronto and Richard Attias and Associates in New York, Qatar and Gabon). It means working hard, and taking the time to enjoy the sunset with the team on the rooftop terrace above our Mile-End offices. It means creating technological products that redefine the way humans interact with each other. It means being pushed by rigour and desire to excel, while being given space to learn and grow. And it’s really, really fun.
What we are looking for
You are curious and vivacious. You pride yourself on the quality of your work. You are rigorous and resourceful. You are passionate about new technologies and like to be in the know. You are destined for great things, and you are interested in collaborative education and the sharing economy.
What your job will be
We are looking for a passionate web developer who is comfortable with Python languages (including the Django framework) and RESTful interfaces. This means:
- Participating in the technical analysis and help develop project specifications
- Work on developing the API to include new functionalities (based on client needs and in accordance with E-180’s business strategy)
- Work on making the API publicly available (this includes authentication, an eventual payment system with quota, and documentation)
- Collaborate with the web integrator and iOS developer to determine the most relevant API characteristics
What is required to get the job done
- Mastery of Python
- Useful: Knowledge of PostgreSQL (or other SQL DB)
- Useful: Knowledge of SolR or ElasticSearch
- Useful: Knowledge of Django and REST interfaces
- Useful: Understanding of frontend or mobile (iOS) development
- Autonomy, rigour, organization skills
- Experience with agile work environments
- Resourcefulness and ability to make miracles happen
- Positive attitude and strong interest for technological innovation
What you will also likely want to know
- Full time / 37.5 hours a week
- Competitive salary, with opportunities for shared ownership of E-180, Inc.
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Offices located in the Mile-End, just two floors below the most breathtaking roof terrace in Montreal
- Start date: early September 2014
How to apply
To apply, send you resumé and letter of intent to Christine Renaud, CEO of E-180, by fax at 1-800-JUSTKIDDING. By email: christine [at] e-180.com or via Twitter (@e180). Interviews will be directed on an ongoing basis.